Monday, January 7, 2013

The Art of Spin With Anything CUBA


Funny how when this piece went up on Salon.com:

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/31/the_way_we_left_cuba/

...the editors inserted a headline, attributed falsely to me, saying Cuba was an "Orwellian nightmare." I complained, not before the comment section and some hate mail assailed me as a "right wing, Cuba-bashing opportunist shit," as one person put it. Seemed as if 90% didn't read beyond the headline. Even a metaphor in the piece comparing Havana's current state to a young girl, just sexualized, staring and smiling with rotten teeth at tourists had another person imply I was a pedophile.

So Salon's editor compromised with me on the headline I complained about, though "reluctant to do so," (as the bulk of the article, he argued, would balance it off) and attributed another headline to me, which I didn't write, calling Cuba "by turns beautiful and terrifying."

Seemed that was as close as they'd let the piece get to ambiguity by way of introduction.

Charming times we live in...

No comments: